Creating a new wine line is not an easy task,but a partnership with Scheid Vineyards in Monterey California and Kathie Lee Gifford cohost of the Today Show the 4th hour did just that. The brand was launched in 2014 with great expectations and a lot of hard work. The Gifft brand wines are now being welcomed in many venues, hotels and cruise ships. Kathie Lee Gifford took the time out of her busy schedule to chat with Beaux Sejours about her endeavor, Gifft Wines!
Beaux; With all of your talents and accolades what was your inspiration in creating your own label of Gifft wine?
Kathie Lee; I had been asked on other occasions to be the face of a wine that already existed but when I had the opportunity to work with a company who had already established themselves as wonderful wine makers I jumped at the opportunity to be full partners in the creation of a brand new wine—a wine that I would love to personally share with my friends and family, but also to order in a restaurant. I wanted them to be delicious and affordable. And they are.
Beaux ;How did you choose the Monterey region for this venture?
Kathie Lee; they never overwhelm you. They’re eminently drinkable alone but they pair beautifully with food. The word most people us is so “smooth.”
Beaux; What is your go to wine to sip and enjoy?
Kathie Lee; I love all my Gifft ‘babies’ of course but since it’s summer I’ve been choosing our brand new Pinot Grigio. Someone gave me a great idea to pour some in ice trays to freeze and then put in your glass on a warm day.
Beaux; Do you have a favorite wine pairing or two?
Kathie Lee; I love our Chardonnay with any seafood like Chilean sea bass, crab or shrimp. Our red blend is spectacular with steaks, lamb chops and pasta. The rose is great with cheeses. And the pinot grigio is flat out delicious with everything!
Beaux; What would be the ultimate goal for Gifft Wines?
Our goal would be to get as many people as possible to try it and discover for themselves how delicious it is. We’d love them to make Gifft a part of their daily life. People might try a bottle out of curiosity one time but my wish is that they’ll continue to buy it based on the quality of the wine itself.
Would you share a recipe with our readers for pairing with one of your wines?
A Grilled Salmon recipe for pairing with Gifft Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio.
GRILLED SALMON FILLETS WITH
SUNDRIED TOMATO TOPPING
4 salmon fillets with skin on (6 oz portions)
¾ cup sun dried tomatoes, finely chopped
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
2 tbsp. grape seed oil
1 tbsp. Mrs. Dash original blend seasoning
Pam cooking spray for high temp cooking
- Remove salmon fillets from refrigerator and allow coming to room temperature.
- Make topping: in a small bowl, combine sun dried tomatoes and butter. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Preheat grill or cast iron griddle to medium heat. Brush fillets with grape seed oil and season with Mrs. Dash seasoning.
- Generously spray cooking surface with cooking spray. Place fillets on the grill, skin side up. Grill side without skin for approximately 2-3 minutes, watching carefully not to burn.
- Flip to skin down side and grill for 3-4 minutes. Cover with foil until skin is crispy.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place generous portion of sun dried tomato topping on top of fillets. Heat for another 6-7 minutes, until sun dried tomatoes begin to crisp.
- Serve immediately.